Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Management, blogging, & pregancy


When I started this blog at nine weeks pregnant, it was all about the bump.  I knew I wanted to photograph and write about our pregnancy.  Then at some point near the end of this summer, I realized I wanted to do more.  It simply came down to the fact that I had more to say and share.  And I'm proud to say I've done exactly that. 

This entire time that I've been blogging, I really haven't mentioned work.  I haven't written about my career or what I do every day at the office.  This is partly because the blog has been about my crafty projects and becoming a mom, it really hasn't been about office life.  But my job is a huge part of me.  It consumes a significant amount of my time every week and it fulfills a specific part of me.  

So here's a little, just a touch, just to see if we like it.  I work full time in the insurance industry.  More specifically, I write professional liability coverage.  This isn't necessarily what I dreamt about when I was going to college but I always knew that I wanted to work in the corporate world (yup, the idea excited me).  I'm now a manager of a few employees and a multi-million dollar program.  Management can be very rewarding and yet very taxing.  I guess you could say it's a parallel to being a mom.  

The idea of becoming a mom, blogging, and maintaining my work/management level is a little daunting.  I haven't quite figured out if I will keep going at the same pace but I know this: blogging for me has been about the things that excite me, the fun projects I'm working on and discovering new ideas.  It is also about sharing; sharing what I'm excited and passionate about and since work/management fall into that category, I'll be sharing a more in the future.  But that will come later.  

For now, as Henley stated, "I am the master of my of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."  For me, this means that excuses are lame and I just need to get to work.  I have control over a plethora of decisions.  I know that knitting and blogging make me very happy.  If my excitement level during this pregnancy is any indicator, I will love being a mom.  So those are the things that I will continue to focus on, control, and enjoy.  Because those are exactly the things that make my soul happy.    

No comments:

Post a Comment