Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Reading

I like to read.  Apparently I'm in luck because there is a library's worth of reading materials for pregnant women.  And I thought grad school was over.

What I've learned is that (a) there are a million different opinions and (b) I don't have to read them all just to learn how to be a good mom.  This is a quick peek at my nightstand and what I've found good so far.  But first, a shot of Mackenzie sleeping with my nightstand in the background. 



I started with "What to Expect When You're Expecting" - more than likely everyone cracks this book open as soon as the pregnancy test is positive.  It was beneficial for the first trimester when I was trying to navigate the is this normal? phase.  However, the 20+ pages on what you should and should not eat went a little too far for me.  Sorry, but I cannot consume all the protein, dairy, and vegetables they listed.  I also became horribly confused about super foods and portions of those foods.  Maybe I should blame my high school - it was a city school.  

At some point toward the end of the first trimester, I started "The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy."  The book is hysterical.  The downfall is when the author tries to convince you that you can eat M&Ms by the bag and not work out.  My sweet tooth has only gotten worse since reading the book.  The author did a nice job of allaying a number of fears and provides a list of what you should bring to the hospital.  But skip over the paragraphs where she tells you working out won't matter.  If you want to work out, do it.  If you don't, that's your prerogative.  Just put the M&Ms down while you decide. 

"Bringing Up Bebe" was a book I really enjoyed.  There was a bit of controversy about the book because the author essentially says that French women raise more well behaved children than American women.  Or maybe that's what overly sensitive book critics took from this book.  I personally thought it had some nice observations.  One of the best ideas I got from the book was that of The Pause - this is the idea that when a baby cries, you don't have to respond immediately.  Sometimes it's best to observe a baby and understand what that specific cry means before responding.  

Lastly, "Baby 411."  I've read all of 4 pages of the book but it came highly recommended.  Apparently the book provides great detail about poop, including what colors are normal or not.  And if you've been reading this blog, you'll know I've hit that topic more than once. 

The "Pregnancy and Childbirth: Month to Month" book came from my doctor and the photos were enough for me.  Maybe I'll be tough enough to read through it more when I'm further into my pregnancy.  Overall, the magazines have been interesting enough but nothing hugely helpful has appeared.  If you've read a great book on pregnancy or infant childcare, I'd love to know!   

No comments:

Post a Comment