Sunday, December 2, 2012

Day 7




Our first week has been pretty exciting.  Aidan Ward Sinks decided to arrive a little early (roughly a week and a half before his due date) and it has been thrilling ever since.  We are quickly learning what he prefers, how to deal with lack of sleep (um actually, I don't know the magic answer to this), and managing life tasks with one hand.  

Some stats from this week ::

Aidan's weight: born at 6 lbs, 9 oz.  He dropped to 6 lbs, 1 oz and as of his pediatrician appointment on Friday, was up to 6 lbs, 3 oz.   
Aidan's height: 19 3/4 inches
Diaper usage: Roughly 8-12 dirty diapers per day and it seems to be increasing exponentially.  
Breastfeeding: Yes! And I'm so glad we are getting the hang of it.  Of course, the first couple days of breastfeeding seemed to require ten hands and a flashlight but we've managed to scale that back to three hands.  Still need an extra hand from Alan to hold Aidan's hand away from "the source" as he often likes to grab me with his tiny, yet effectively sharp nails.
Favorite product: Hands down the Aden & Anais swaddles have been my favorite product so far.  Aidan really likes to be swaddled when he is sleeping although he works diligently to get out when he is awake.  The size of these swaddles make it easier to get him bundled up and I love how soft the material is.  We actually bought a second pack just to make sure we aren't without one.    
Sleep deprivation: Um, seriously.   
Biological warfare: This baby has a tootie bootie and while completely adorable, it is often odiferous.  More than once we've thought for sure he had done his big business only to find that the smell evaporated by the time we started the diapering process.  He has also pooped while getting his diaper changed - multiple times.  I knew we'd have blow outs with this one so I guess it's just a matter of time before they have some force behind it. 
Movement: Aidan has impressive (at least to me) neck movement.  He will often pick his head up from my chest and move it around a bit before it flops back down.  He also loves to stretch out his hands and feet just like I imagined he did in the womb.  BTW those feet are long! 
Best moments this week: Obviously his birthday was pretty wild and exciting.  I love surprises and his arrival was exactly that.  He was earlier and came faster than even I had thought - and I'd been the one saying all along that I thought he'd be a little early
Cutest Aidan feature: He squeaks!  When he is sleeping he will sometimes make very random squeaking noises and they are pretty loud.  If I could time it right, I'd video tape it and listen to it on repeat :) 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! A lot of people recommend filing baby nails but I could never make that work. I use clippers but wait until she's drowsy or sleeping at the breast - so scary at first but now it's super-easy.

    ReplyDelete